Terry
Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling
5185315

since I had tonsilitis three years ago I have problems with

since I had tonsilitis three years ago I have problems with my throat. two years ago I noticed something at the back of my throat (which I refer to as my little second tongue), I went to the doctors lots of times and get told im stress and it will go away, it never has. I dont always have bother with it but when i do its annoying. what is it? how can I get rid of it?
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Could you please tell me what problems you had with your throat?

What exactly are you seeing in the back of your throat? Do you know what your uvula looks like, in the back of your throat?

Did the doctor do a culture of your throat?

How did the doctor treat your throat?

Do you have an other health problems?

What medications do you take?

Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I keep getting sore, red throats and infections but they never get treated with anything. I think that I am seeing my epiglottis, looks like a pale pink tongue. The doctor didnt do a culture of my throat. I am asthmatic but thats really all. I take the mini pill but nothing else.

I hope this helps
Expert:  Terry replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the extra detail!

A sore red throat can be caused by a viral infection or bacterial infection. A throat culture is done to determine the type of bacteria, so that the proper antibiotic can be prescribed for you, to treat it and make it get better. A viral throat has to run it's course. Ask the doctor if he advises you having a throat culture to be sure that you don't have a recurring infection. An infection is oftentimes accompanied by fever.

From your description, it sounds like you are seeing your uvula, which is small, fleshy and pink, and dangles down from the top of the back of your throat. Your uvula blongs there and should not be bothering you, unless it is a little longer than usual, or is swollen. Again, please call your doctor and ask if that is what you are seeing in the back of your throat, since he already examined you.

In the meantime rinse and gargle with warm salt water, two times each day. Drink warm liquids such as tea or soup to soothe your throat. Use throat lozenges or sucking candy to keep your throat moist.

Terry

Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience: Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is not my uvula because i know what it is this other thing is almost like it is behind my tongue from the bottom
Expert:  Terry replied 5 years ago.
Customer..

Ok, I'm glad you can see the uvula. On the very back of the center of the tongue, you may see raised papules or bumps, that actually can belong there.. It is very difficult for me to know without seeing it. Since the doctor has already visualized it, you really need to demand an answer from him as to what he is seeing.

Do you still have your tonsils and if so, are you sure that this is not what you are seeing? They are on either side of the back of your throat and may appear enlarged.

Since you have great concern, I will suggest that you make an appointment with a throat specialist, called an ENT doctor. He has the tools to examine and visualize the very back of your throat, and further.

If your doctor is considering stress as the cause, has he prescribed an anti- stress type of medication to help you?

Terry

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I saw a picture of what i am seeing on another person and it had labelled epiglottis because it looks like a lip shape in the centre and its as big as my uvale. it does not always bother me but when it does it feels like something caught in my throat, very annoying and uncomfortable. i still have my tonsils and they are always slightly enlarged. my doctor i feel has never seen what i have and says he has. he has not prescribed anything for stress. i dont feel stressed
Expert:  Terry replied 5 years ago.

Hi again,

If you have health insurance, then you should make an appointment with the ENT (Ear Nose Throat) doctor as soon as possible so that your throat can be examined, diagnosed and treated so that you don't have to be uncomfortable.

As you may know, the epiglottis is a flap way at the back of the tongue that opens and then closes to prevent food from going down your windpipe. You should not be able to see this easily. The ENT specialist has an instrument that will let him visualze further back in your throat to determine if everything is ok, or not.

I hope this helps you.

Terry

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a doctors appointment on wednesday with a different doctor i dont know. three years has been to long to suffer with this, i need to get rid of this so that i can stop paniking myself. is there anything i can do to help this until, wednesday?
Expert:  Terry replied 5 years ago.

I am glad to hear that you have an appointment. Is it with an ENT doctor? As I advised you previously, In the meantime rinse and gargle with warm salt water, two times each day. Drink warm liquids such as tea or soup to soothe your throat. Use throat lozenges or sucking candy to keep your throat moist.

If you found my answer helpful, it would be appreciated if you would now please click the accept button. Don't worry that this will cause us to lose contact. Simply click 'reply' to let me know how the doctor's visit goes on Wednesday and tell me the doctor's findings.

Sincerely,

Terry