Christy Hammond
Christy Hammond, Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Experience:  I have a B.S.N and more than 10 years of training and experience in patient care and education
902388

I had blood work done in January and my monocytes are high.

I had blood work done in January and my monocytes are high. 14 on a 4-13 reference interval. All other CBC and liver enzyme reference intervals are normal. This was done after a period of elevated alcohol intake. I explained the circumstances to my Doc. and he reviewed the results without a mention of any problem. Should I be concerned as I also have a very mild feeling of "fullnes" on my right side ocasionally. He also performed an abdominal exam with no mention of any anomalies. I do drink on avg. 2-3x's a week.
Category: Health
Expert:  Christy Hammond replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The elevated monocyte count can be the remnants of any recent infection or inflammation. When placed in context with an unremarkable abdominal exam, normal liver enzymes and an otherwise normal CBC is not likely to be significant, or a sign or liver disease. The fullness on your right side along with the slightly elevated monocyte count, could indicate some liver inflammation, but the normal enzymes and otherwise normal CBC would suggest it is mild or resolving. You can protect your liver in the future by limiting alcohol intake to 1-2 drinks per day, once or twice a week, staying active, eating a well balanced diet, staying hydrated and taking medication only when needed (especially products containing tylenol).