Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

i have stabbed myself in the palm of my hand while i was cooking

i have stabbed myself in the palm of my hand while i was cooking 2 days ago. it is about half i have a little numbness at the tip of my middle finger. is this normal?
First - did you get a tetanus shot?

Next, do you have any weakness of that finger?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

yes i have had my tetanus shot.

There is no weakness, still a little stiff and sore round the area of the wound.

The wound has almost closed up but my concern is will it be alright or does it require more attention?

Well, if you take a look at a simplified picture of the hand (nerves are yellow):

http://www.lifespan.org/adam/graphics/images/en/8986.jpg

You may have cut, of partially injured the nerve for sensation to the finger with the knife wound, causing the numbness in the finger.

But the most important thing here is to ensure that the wound heals well, without an infection. Over the first few days, if your wound becomes red, warm, tender, it should be seen by a doctor right away, as one does not want the structures of the hand to become infected.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

OK i will look out for the infection signs thanks.

So will the nerves repair themselves or is this numbness going to possibly a permanent state?

It's tough to say. Perhaps there is some swelling in the palm that is pushing on the nerve, causing the numbness -- in that case it should improve. If the nerve itself was damaged by the knife, then some degree of numbness may always exist.

In most cases, it does improve.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

When I actually stabbed my hand my middle finger became numb very slowly. Does this mean anything in regards XXXXX XXXXX nerves being damaged?

Perhaps then it wasn't a direct injury to the nerve, but swelling in the area of the wound putting pressure on the nerve. In this case, your numbness should improve.