Dr Wu
Dr Wu, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board certified family physician, extensive experience in adult medicine, specalizes in geriatrics.
4968719

I have been up all night with pain from my bread basket radiating

I have been up all night with pain from my bread basket radiating around to my back. I couldn't get comfortable at all. now i am not feeling so good. sorta sick to my stomach and weak...what could that be. I have never experienced anything like this before

HiCustomer

1. Tell me more about the pain- is it in your chest area? Left or right? Is the pain there all the time or comes and goes. Sharp/dull?

2. What is your age, medical history? Medications?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

pain starts in the bread basket radiating to the left into my back. I don't take any medication. the pain is sharp enough to keep me awake all night. I am feeling weak and worried

Thank you for your information.

Left-sided pain is concerning for heart disease. There are several types of chest pain related to heart disease. Chest pain from a blocked artery tends to last only minutes, and is usually described as dull. Constant sharp pain may be from inflammation of the lining of the heart( pericarditis). This type of pain is sharp, relieved by leaning forward, and the patient usually has a viral infection(e.g. cold symptoms).

Aortic aneurysms can also cause sharp chest pain that radiates to the back. Although it is unusual for a female in her 40s with no history of high blood pressure/cholesterol to have an aneurysm.

Another common cause of left sided pain is gastritis/stomach acid issues. This type of pain is usually constant, can be sharp, should be relieved by maalox.

At this point, I would advise that you take some antacid. If that doesn't relieve your pain, or if you develop rapid heart rate, dizziness or shortness of breath, you should seek medical attention immediately.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just had a complete physical 2 weeks ago.. All was good except my triglycerides were up to 472

If your LDL and total cholesterol is normal, then the risk of heart disease is low. High triglyceride should still be treated ( first with diet, then consider meds).Try some antacid for now. No more aspirin for today( aspirin can exacerbate stomach pain). You can take tylenol instead.