Dr.  RK
Dr. RK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice

what is the healing time for a broken knee cap

what is the healing time for a broken knee cap?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

Greetings and thankyou for using justanswer!

The nonsurgical treatment of patellar fracture(knee cap) consists of the use of immobilization cylinders or an above-the-knee cast with the knee in extension for

4-6 weeks which is the usual time taken for complete healing.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is surgery aii way s needed for a broken knee cap
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is surgery needed for this
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

The surgery is NOT needed in every case.Most of the patellar fractures heal by their own in 4-6 weeks.Though the non healing fracture may require surgical fixation in some cases.

You should wait until the due time to see if the fractue heals and consult your orthopaedic doctor in case of non healing.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the doc. said it was an old brake bcouse it had no ruff eagees
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

thankyou for the enquiry!

When did the fracture happen?

Did you have the history of injury/fall?

Are you wearing plaster /cast now?

what is the current status in the x -ray?

Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

You should have your x-ray of the patellar region and see to it that the fracture of the patella is displaced or not.

The displaced fracture will definitely require the surgery .

The undisplaced fracture are treated by immobilisation in the cast.

Now since it is the old fracture and see if the patella is DISPLACED OR NOT. Be prepared for the surgery if the patella is displaced.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Please visit here for more information:

treatment of patellar fracture

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
IT SHOULD TAKE MORE THEN 2 VISITS TO THE ORO. DOC. FOR THAT TIPE OF INJURY.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

It may take more than 2 visits for the complete follow up.Once the surgery is performed your doctor may discharge you from the hospital and then you may visit him on follow up check-ups every 2 weeks or sooner depending on the condition.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Dr. RK, Doctor (MD)
Experience: M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice