Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Right above my left knee, there is a sharp pain sometimes (often)

Right above my left knee, there is a sharp pain sometimes (often) after or during my runs - After running, I feel and see fluid build up around my knee cap - Any idea if that is ligament damge???

How old are you? Since how long is this happening? Is there pain and tenderness associated with the fluid built up?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, it is tender in terms of the fluid being "jellylike" but no pain and it has been going on about 3 months... I do have health insurance - Should I just get an x-ray and stop being stubborn?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I'll need to get going, but will look forward to your reply, just as soon as you can. Thank you in advance for your expertise.

Best regards,

Pedro Ramirez

Hello Pedro Ramirez,

This seems to be prepatellar bursitis. Aspiration and drainage combined with padding and protection are the treatments of choice for prepatellar bursitis. Local corticosteroid injection can be considered for, recurrent nonseptic bursitis or chronic bursal thickening. Plain x-rays of the knee are not necessary to make the diagnosis of prepatellar bursitis, and they rarely affect management.

The patellofemoral pain syndrome is the second possibility and has been observed in approximately 25-40 percent of runners. The pain in this syndrome is attributed to a combination of overtraining and anatomical/biomechanical forces. The knee is the most common site for running injuries. The repetitive stress of running may cause knee pain due to overuse or by activation of a previously dormant knee injury involving the patellofemoral joint, menisci, or soft tissue structures surrounding the knee. Physical therapy is the mainstay of treatment. Patella stabilization braces are often helpful. The following measures would be helpful;

1) Knee care in the activities of daily living. Few simple self-care measures can be remarkably effective in ending pain cycle.

a) Avoid prolonged standing or walking or sitting with joint in a single position.

b) whenever you sit, keep the knee stretched and fold them intermittently.

c) Squatting, sitting cross legged should not be done.

d) Avoid climbing stairs.

e) Avoid sitting legs unsupported or hanging.

2) Rest: Taking a break from your normal activities reduces repetitive strain on your knee, gives the time to heal and helps prevent further damage.

3) Anti-inflammatory medications

4) Physical therapy; the goal of physical therapy is to strengthen the muscles around your knee and help you regain knee stability. Ideal is supervised physical therapy. Stretching exercises are also part of the physical therapy regime.

5) Orthotics and bracing.

6) Glucosamine and chondroitin orally for about 1-2 years and a trial of diacerin for three months.

7) Hyaluronic acid injections in knee.

8) Local analgesic sprays and ointments to your skin may help relieve the pain and stiffness.

9) Deep Electrotherapy by physical therapist.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun