Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

What medications can cause blood in the urine including as

What medications can cause blood in the urine including asprin?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 7 years ago.

Hello

There are many medications that list "Hematuria" (blood in urine) as an adverse affect. If you can tell me which medications you are on, I could possibly check and see if hematuria is listed as an adverse reaction for that particular drug.

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

clonazepam 0.5 mgAmlod/benazp 5-20 mg, lexpro 10mg

I gave a urinre sample @ the ER 2 nights ago and they said there was no infections

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I also forgot to mention that I had blood in my seman

Thanks for the reply

None of the drugs you gave the names of list hematuria as a side effect/adverse reaction. The main drugs that cause hematuria are blood thinners such as Coumadin, Lovenox, Aspirin (which you say you do not take that often), Heparin and and the anti-cancer drug, Cytoxan. Sometimes blood in the urine can be caused by an enlarged prostate. With the absence of any infection, this might be worth investigating. Anothing cause could be kidney disease. I would suggest that you follow up with your regular Dr for a Prostate exam and PSA levels to be checked. Your Dr might also run some labs on your urine to determine your kidney function. I would not be extremely concerned at this point, but would definitely follow up.

******ADDITION-I see you added after I finished typing my answer that you also had blood in the semen. This is also very suggestive of prostate involvement. I will address blood in the semen also since you mentioned it...

Hematospermia (or blood in the semen) can be causes by several different things. It can be caused by things like Prostatitis (inflammation of the prostate gland), urinary tract infection (which you said had been ruled out), epididymitis, ejuaculation duct obstructions, cysts, STD's, urethritis (inflammation of the urethra), and from having procedures like vasectomy. Pain, lower back pain, flank pain, swelling of the testes or groin area, tenderness, painful urination and ejaculations, fever, and blood in the urine.

Please reply if more info is needed.

********************

If my answer has provided you with some good insight today, please click "Accept" and I will received proper credit for my time and effort, otherwise, JustAnswer.com will hold your deposit. Before leaving feedback, please let me know if you need clarification or more info. Thanks for using JustAnswer.com.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My vasectamy was 23 years ago, could that still occur and what type of STD are you talking about and wouldn't I have other signs, I have not been sexually active for at leasr 60 days

One would normally see blood in the semen in rare cases shortly after a Vasectomy procedure-not this long out. To name a few STD's that could cause blood in the semen would include Gonorrhea and Chlymydia.