Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

can you cut off HPV worts is that bad

can you cut off HPV worts? is that bad?

Hello, what is your age?

What is the location of the warts?

How long have they been present?

What has been tried so far?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am 23 yrs. old and i have had them for like 6 months and i was given a cream that did not work. i have 3 of them and i want them gone. they are on the lips of my vergina

That location is very fragile and simply cutting off the warts would damage the area very badly. Normally we use Aldara (imiquimod) for a period of up to 4 months, if this the cream you used then ensure that the instructions re leaving on for ten hours a day was followed carefully.

If this did not work then see your doctor or dermatologist as they can either be frozen with cryotherapy, or treated with laser to remove safely. Do not try to treat these lesions yourself as the labia is rather sensitive.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

when you get the worts taken off do they come back of once they are gone are they gone?

Removing the wart only removes the visible sign of the virus, the virus itself is still present although after a period of time (1-2 years) many people find that their own immune system can clear or supress the virus itself. However until you have been tested clear of HPV, then you need to ensure that all sex is protected even if you do not have active warts.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i thought that once you had the HPV virus that it never goes away that is not true?

It all depends on your immune system. Some modern tests have been able to show that immune system can either suppress or clear the HPV from your system after a period of time so that it does not show on testing.

If you think about warts on hands of children which are very common, children tend to 'grow out of' these warts which are from the HPV family.

However we cannot predict whom this will happen for, and testing is not generally available to provide proof of clearance however outbreaks should reduce remarkably in a couple of years if your immune system is healthy.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i have known that i have had the HPV Virurs sence i was 18 yrs. old and now i have gotten the worts why is that?

Where was the HPV detected initially at age 18? How was the diagnosis confirmed?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
a pap at my first lady doctor appt.

The HPV in the cervix detected on pap smear does not necessarily mean that you will get genital warts as there are a number of types of HPV. It possible that a recent partner had a different type of HPV leading to you picking up the type that causes external warts.

I would hope that a subsequent smear would reveal that your cervix is clear of HPV. so if you have not had a smear for 3 years then I would repeat again,