Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience

i noticed a small pea sized lump on the left side of my neck

i noticed a small pea sized lump on the left side of my neck that is painful, what is this
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 years ago.

How long are you having this?

Is it in the front of the neck?

What is the size? Is it movable? Consistency -hard/ soft/ firm?

Do to have any sore throat/ cold?

Did you have any test or treatment?

Did you have any previous illness?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
noticed yestersay, its on the left side of my neck, pea sized, not movable feels like it is in my vein, it is hard and firm, no sore throat symptoms some allergy symptoms that i get every year, recently had mri of the brain due to daily headaches, some visual problems, fatigue, vertigo and lactation. mri resutls was normal. i was diagnosed with hypothroidism 5 years ago test results normal. also had complete blood work up 3 weeks ago pririor to the mri. everything was normal
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the information,

Can you please write in details of the allergy symptoms?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
runny nose, sneezing, some nasal congeastion. i was treated with singular which seems to help. something that i deal with every year, i have a deviated septom which may contribute to the nasal congeastion
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the information,

The sudden appearance of a small painful pea size lump is most probably from inflammed lymph node.

Though you do not have any sore throat symptoms, but you have some allergy symptoms.

Allergy can cause inflammation of the lymph nodes too.

Probably you did not had such lymph node enlargement with your previous allergic attack.

Along with nasal symptoms, there can be associated pharyngitis, tonsillitis, though you do not have symptoms.

Pain should go away when inflammation will subside but enlargement of the gland may persists for a longer period.

If the pain and enlargement persists you should consult doctor for examination and investigation to get the proper diagnosis.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Please ask if you need any clarification.

Best wishes.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience