Dr. Amir Javed
Dr. Amir Javed, Doctor
Experience:  Master in Internal medicine (London), MBBS, expert in health and fitness (six years experience)
16101430

I was just diagnosed with frontal lobe atrophy (MCI). My family

I was just diagnosed with frontal lobe atrophy (MCI). My family on my mother's side has a long history of Alzheimer's and dementia, so this was not a surprise, although unwelcome. I have had 3 TIA's from an injury received in 1991. I am now 68 and otherwise in excellent health. I know what the future can mean, but my husband is poo-pooing this and wants better information. I can find nothing on Web-MD explaining it. Can you help? Can you also give a prognosis for someone who is in excellent health and who stays active? Thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Amir Javed replied 8 years ago.
I have read your question carefully. Before answering that I would like to ask few things in order to make my conclusion. Any history of diabetes,hypertension,high cholestrol?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have no diabetes (have had low blood sugar most of my life but under control through a good diet), no hypertension and current cholesterol at 168. Family history is very poor with heart disease, disabetes, cancer and Alzheimers.
Thanks for your reply. There are no doubts that Alzheimers disease run in families and Patient having this Alzheimers disease do suffer from speech disorders, memory loss and difficulty in coordination sometimes but rare. The total span of this disease is about 8-10 years. This disease create problems for the person as well as for the close family members. One thing I want to emphasize that Alzheimers disease develops in stages and recently genes are being traced for that. But it is proven now that Alzheimers disease progress fastly in those patients which do have diabetes, hypertenion and high cholestrol levels. In this case you dont have that this means it will be very slow process and if you will be fit enough then you will be able to cope most of the problems. Be active and keep using your brain in different kind of activities. There are different medications which can now be prescribed for Alzheimers patients which further slow the process of being going into dementia. Start taking Vitamin E and Vitamin B complex from now on. It will be helpful for you in retaining your memory. Wish you best of luck.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I think my husband would prefer an explanation of what frontal lobe atrophy (MCI) exactly is. Maybe what causes it. He is an engineer and feels the need to research everything and figure everything out. I have already told him the end result. He wants to know the causes.

Thanks for your reply. There are many causes of Frontal lobe atrophy like blockage of small arteries in that area, diabetes, high blood pressue can be a risk factor, High level of cholestrol block some times the arteries, genetic causes if diseases like Alzhemiers run in the families, Picks disease, trauma, Tumors of the brain, Cerebrovascular accidents like in TIAs and strokes. Best of luck

Regards

Dr. Amir Javed