Doctor G.
Doctor G., Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Internal Medicine / Cardiology / Endocrine questions
12907602

My 38 year old daughter is being admitted into the hospital

My 38 year old daughter is being admitted into the hospital for giambre disease or syndrome...I am not sure I spelled it correctly. She has lost feeling in feet and strength in legs. Finds it hard to walk and cannot stand on her toes at all. Can you tell me about this disease? She has celiac disease, as well. Is this an auto-immune disease?
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor G. replied 7 years ago.
What your daughter has is something called Guillain-Barré syndrome.
The immune system attacks the peripheral nerves. That's why she has problems standing up. The paralysis that occurs, happens in an ascending fashion. Meaning, it goes from toes on up. It can be triggered by a virus, bacteria, or immunizations. It is not usually known to be associated with celiac disease but there have been case reports.
The disease can progress to paralyzing the diaphragm muscle requiring intubation.
Most people reach the stage of greatest weakness within the first 2 weeks after symptoms appear, and by the 3rd week of the illness 90 % of are at their weakest.

The recovery period last as short as a couple of weeks to a few years.
The mortality rate is about 3% and is due to breathing issues.
After she gets out and is able to move her limbs, she will need physical therapy.
Treatment should have been initiated. It has been shown that treatment within the first 2-4 weeks of symptoms helps speed recovery and severity.
There are two treatment options, Plasmapheresis and Intravenous Immunoglobulin.

I hope I’ve been able to shed a little light on this for you.
If you have further questions on this topic, please feel free to ask.

You should always consult with your physician for the proper diagnosis and treatment.
The above was for educational purposes only and does not confer a doctor-patient privilege or relationship.