PatriciaRN, Nurse
Experience:  35 years of nursing experience, 2 in ER, 1 at Planned Parenthood clinic

How Long Do Pain Pills Stay in Your System?

How long will pain killers stay in my system? I have a test on the 10th of this month.

Hello Micfly,

I'd like to ask you a few questions.

By asking, how long do they stay in your system, do you mean for how long are they effective and acting on you, or how long do they take for your body to be rid of them?

By test, do you mean drug test, and if so, blood or urine, or both?

Are there any specific painkillers that you had in mind?

Do you have any kidney or liver problems, or any other chronic medical conditions such as diabetes?

Please let me know and perhaps I can be of help.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It is a pee test. Yes to rid them from my system. No liver or kidney problems. The medicines are Loritab generic

Hello Micfly,

Thanks for answering.

Lortabs are also called Vicodin. They stay in your system for about 72 hours or so, depending on your weight and how much you took, and for how long. Drinking a lot of water can get them out faster.

Here's a link to a site where the duration of the most common painkillers is summarized:

I hope this is helpful. Please feel free to ask a follow up question if you have one.