Dr Wu
Dr Wu, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board certified family physician, extensive experience in adult medicine, specalizes in geriatrics.

I have a very painful bridge of my nose, feels like Ive been

Customer Question

I have a very painful bridge of my nose, feels like I've been punched. Slight redness, headache, runny nose (clear discharge) and tickly throat. Had this for about a week now.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 7 years ago.

I suspect that you have a sinus infection which has extended to the soft bones of the nose. Sinus infections often start with common cold symptoms( runny nose), the bacteria/virus then gets into the sinuses. The pain you have around the forehead are could be from frontal sinus infection.

A painful nose is from infection until proven otherwise. The bridge of the nose if made of cartilages, which can become infected. Another possibility is that you have a polyp inside the nose that is now inflammed. Either case you most likely will need antibiotics.

For now, you can try taking sudafed( if you don't have a reaction to sudafed) to decrease sinus pressure.

I hope my advice is helpful. If so, please click "ACCEPT" so I can get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

thanks for the reply, all mostly cleared now and nose no longer painful - that was the weirdest bit - I thought my wife had maybe punched me in the night! Cleared up on it's own after a few days.