RossMD
RossMD, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine
8433728

I have got a charley horse in upper abdomen between the rib

Customer Question

I have got a charley horse in upper abdomen between the rib cage, it isn't under the rib cage, it feels just like getting a charley horse in my leg, I will get it when I bend over and as soon as I stand up and rub it it will go away but sometimes it will be sore in that area like it is in a leg after you get a charley horse there. My stomach is not upset, I just get a charley horse in that area. I am concerned cause I have mitral valve prolapse, would this have anything to do with my heart? I don't get palpitations during it and it isn't in my chest area, it is in my stomach. The first time I had one was a couple of weeks ago when I pulled our mattresses off the bed and then as I was fixing the skirt along the bottom box spring, I was bent over I got one, I immediately stood up and it went away. Last night I was bent over the sink rinsing my hair and I got one, I stood up and it went away. Should I be concerned? But I had also done some new exercises that day dealing with stomac
Category: Health
Expert:  RossMD replied 5 years ago.
Hi granny,
The fact that your "charley horse is positional means its most likely musculoskelatal. It is caused by your muscles or bones. This is even more likely because it started while you were exerting yourself. Most likely you are straining your muscle when you bend over, and when you stand up it gets better because that muscle can relax when you stand.
I want you to touch the area that hurts with one figer very carefully. Feel around it, and try to find a spot that is tender, if you can do this, then it is almost for sure musculoskeletal.

Because you brought up your heart, sometimes in diabetics and in women heart disease can present in very weird ways. I had one patient who would get JAW PAIN! And he ended up having heart disease. so its a good idea to get your heart checked with a quick EKG, and Stress test. Possibily even an echo. Just to be on the safe side.

I hope that helps, Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Please remember to click on the green "ACCEPT" button so I can get credit for answering your questions. A bonus and good feedback would be very appreciated.
Thank you, XXXXX
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was just to my heart doctor in January and I did not have an EKG or any other tests cause everything was just fine and I feel fine too. It is a little tender in that area where I had the spasm.
Expert:  RossMD replied 5 years ago.
If it is tender in that area, then you should feel assured that it is musculoskeletal, it will take time to fix itself. Your primary care doctor may consider trying you on muscle relaxants to help your symptoms, it will not help fix the problem though. Your body will have to do that it self. It can take up to 4 weeks. Please see your primary care about that.

Thank you, XXXXX
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not accepting it and I also clicked that you not e-mail me anymore and it said my name was taken off of the e-mail list so I would appreciate it if you would do as I said on your website, thank you very much but I am going to the doctor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Granny 1900