RAJESH  CHAUHAN
RAJESH CHAUHAN, Doctor
Experience:  + 26 yr experience; amongst 'Top 100 Scientists', 'Top 100 Health Professionals', & Who's W

I had a large ball of fluid on my elbow but it was not red,

Customer Question

I had a large ball of fluid on my elbow but it was not red, irritated or hurting.. It was just odd that it was there. I bought an 18 ga. needle at Walmart and drained it myself. The following 3 days I have been sooooooooo stinking sick. painful respiration, headache, neck and shoulder muscles ache, nausia and vomiting all night long. when I lay on my side or back, it feels like I am being stabbed. Could all of this be from me draining that sac?
Category: Health
Expert:  RAJESH CHAUHAN replied 5 years ago.
Hello, how old are you?

Do you have any pain/ swelling or difficulty in moving the elbow from where you had drained this fluid?

Did you follow antiseptic precautions before, during and after the drainage? What did you do?

Have you recieved your tetanus toxoid vaccination? Hope you are not overdue?

How long after you had drained did the symptoms start?

Do you have cold/ flu now?

Any diabetes?

Any other problem?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

nothing of pain or discomfort. just felt like a balloon under my skin. I put anteseptic on afterwards....im prettty sure im overdue...

I feel like the flu now.. but no sinus or breathing restriction, it just hurts when I breathe in. Today I feel better.. Slight headache and nausea, but far better than the last 2 nights...

no diabetes and no other problems...

On which date did you drain it?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thursday night and started getting sick on friday mid-day

Thanks for all the information. Going by the details that you have provided, it seems that your symptoms are in no way related to the drainage procedure that you had done yourself.

Had it been because of the drainage, you would have got pain, swelling and inability to move your affected elbow, but then you don’t have any of these.

These symptoms are more likely to be because of flu, and now since you say that you are feeling much better, you are going to recover from it soon.

However, such a procedure is never to be taken so lightly and attempted. Now since you have already done it, it would be in your interest to get your elbow checked up and get the booster for tetanus vaccine also.

Best wishes.

RAJESH CHAUHAN, Doctor
Experience: + 26 yr experience; amongst 'Top 100 Scientists', 'Top 100 Health Professionals', & Who's W
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you..
You're welcome.

Best wishes.