Salar
Salar, Doctor
Experience:  int.medicine board eligible, research fellowship cardiology.. working at UTMCK
11855647

chest xray..ultrasound..my back (not terrible) and often in my abdomen

I recently had a chest xray done due to some mild shortness of breath with exertion and mild wheezing. The xray showed "mild chronic interstitial changes" and mild splenomegaly. An ultrasound confirmed the splenomegaly, and indeed I do have left sided pain in my back (not terrible) and often in my abdomen (again, nothing terrible.) I have also lost around 7 pounds over the last few weeks (I've never been much of an eater, and my eating habits have not changed, so the weight loss is confusing; I am rather thin to begin with...) Otherwise, outside of sinus congestion and the wheezing, I feel pretty well, though I do tire more easily than I used to (getting older is what I've attributed this to.) I am now waiting for the doctor to tell me where to go from here. I am 45 years old, and my family history includes lupus, diabetes, and COPD. Any idea of what this could mean, or what will be suggested in terms of pursuing this? Thanks!
Category: Health
Expert:  Salar replied 7 years ago.
well if you have spleenomegaly .. first thing would be do to complete blood test, liver function tests . spleen can be enlarged in idiopathic cases, liver disease, blood disorders. excessive alcohol intake. ENT referal is for sinus issue not for enlarged spleen.