Dr Wu
Dr Wu, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board certified family physician, extensive experience in adult medicine, specalizes in geriatrics.

directly below my right ear and all the way down my neck and

directly below my right ear and all the way down my neck and the rightside of my jaw sweels and get very hard . What can this be from? I Have beeb told it's not TMJ I take atleast 600mg of ibuprofento keep inflamation down at time's my ear swells shut and this can be a very painful situation. Not always- it looks terrible when ever swollen very noticable.

Thank you for submitting your question. The symptoms you have is not from TMJ- usually patients with TMJ have no noticable swelling.

I suspect you may have an infection in your parotid gland( parotitis). The parotid gland is located beneath the jaw line. When it becomes infected, swelling can extend from the jawline up to the ear. You are going to need some antibiotics to clear this infection.