Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

on 7th a january this year i was rushed in to hospital suppected

on 7th a january this year i was rushed in to hospital suppected of having a stroke, i had act scan and and ecco cardiagram, i under stand from the ct scan that it showed that i have had a stroke which left me with a right front lobe infarct, when i came out of hospital i contacted my crittical i rmainded in hospital for approx 10 days insurance company to see if i would be covered for this illnessunder this ploicy i was told that i was covered for a stroke. nd they sent me a claim form which i duly filled in and also asked my gp to fill in there section, since then i heard tnothing from the insurance company aprt from to say that they were writting to the consultant that i was under for his diagnosis , they rang me last we to say that they were still assessing my claim the lady on the phon suggested to me that i had not actually had a stroke but a transient ischemic attack which woudl not be covered under the policy
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

A transient ischaemic attack is defined as a focal deficit that completely resolves under 24 hours. If the symptoms persisted for more than 24 hours then by definition this is a stroke.

If you have had a CT that shows a persistent infarct damage that has left you with a neurological problem such as weakness, paralysis or speech deficit then this is a stroke and therefore you would be covered.

How is your health at the moment?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i am getting better all the time but still have some problems with co-ordination and balance on my left side
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

The fact that you still have symptoms means that this is not a TIA and your consultant will be able to verify that. He/she will also be able to confirm that the extent of yur disability affects your ability to return to full time work.

If your insurance company seems to be ackward upon this issue then insist on an appointment with one of their doctors who will be able to do tests in the examination room to confirm these findings.