RK, Doctor
Experience:  MD, DM.

I am a 46 year old white British woman and I have been drinking

Customer Question

I am a 46 year old white British woman and I have been drinking too much alcohol for a number of years. I know this practice is affecting my health in terms of weight gain, anxiety etc but I cant stop and despite my best intentions to cut down I give in to my cravings and end up binge drinking on a regular basis (5-6 times a week). I despise myself for my lack of willpower but accept I cant beat this on my own. I tried A.A. a number of years ago but this only worked very short term. I have just read an article by an American doctor who was an alcoholic but completely recovered through taking baclofen. I wondered how likely it will be that my own G.P. will prescribe it for me?
Category: Health
Expert:  RK replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!

Even I went through that article a couple of weeks ago.

But unfortunately there are no large scale studies conducted in this aspect to find the efficacy of baclofen in treating alcohol dependence.

So I cant tell you how efficient it is and i dont think your GP would be willing to prescribe that to you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So after considering what I have told you about my excessive drinking habits, is there any medication available that my G.P. may be willing to prescribe to reduce my cravings for alcohol or help me abstain altoghether?