Vivek Pillai
Vivek Pillai, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, M.D.( GENERAL MEDICINE).

I woke up yesterday with parasthesias -pins-and-needles,

I woke up yesterday with 'parasthesias' -pins-and-needles, numbness, and tingling sensations - in the last three fingers of the left hand. There was no apparent cause for this to occur. It has remained about the same until now. It is quite awkward and very distracting. What are possible causes?Is it likely to go away by itself? Most importantly, how can it be treated successfully? What would be a good plan of action for me?
Category: Health
Expert:  Vivek Pillai replied 7 years ago.

hi, sir... pins and needles sensations are usually due to sensory neuropathy - peripheral neuropathy...the usual causes would be diabetes mellitus and vitamin deficency especially vitamin could first get your routine blood counts and peripheral smear done and a blood sugars also... in the meantime you can tak multivitamin tablets

once daily and if the sensation is too disabling you could take t. amitryptline 10mg at night... of course thebest option is to treat the underlying disease...there is also a small chance that the sensations you could be experiencing are due to a stroke in the territory of the thalamus, so you get a ct scan/ mri of brain done too..

if you are satisfied with my reply, kindly press the ACCEPT button so that i may receive credit for my work... feel free to ask any queries.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Dr., if this is just an injury from say, 'sleeping funny on the hand' while I slept -because Iwoke up with this thing after napping - is it possible or probable that it may/will go away by itself? If so, how long is that likely to take? (an 'educated estimate', obviously).
hi,sir... ah now that is different and the sensations are explained by compression of the nerve trunks of the arm and definitely you will recover although it may take up to a couple of weeks... it will go away by itself..