Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

thickening on my heels which gets white when exposed to water

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed by my doctor as having hyperkeratosis. I have a thickening on my heels which gets white when exposed to water. The longer the exposure the whiter it gets. I have tried several different ointments prescribed by my doctor to no avail. Because I swim often and it is cosmetically unacceptable, I shave it and file it every other day. Still, it returns whithin that time about an 8th of an inch thick. Right now I am losing sleep because when I remove the excess skin it seems to get too close and I have pain and irritation. Even after I exfoliate, there is still a thicening underneath which appers bluish purple. Also, I never can get it close enough so all the white is removed, just reduced.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

You should not try to remove the tissue by shaving the skin yourself. Incorrect technique can actually lead to the skin responding by increased skin production as a defense mechanism. This should only be removed by a podiatrist with experience.

You do not mention which products you have tried however the high concentration urea-based ointments are the best for your problem. This is a long term process so give the ointment at least 2 months to make a persistent difference.

You also need to look at footwear. Some sandals and 'flip-flops' encourage this skin thickening by the repeated trauma when walking so changing to a soft canvas shoe may help.

Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have tried lactic acid lotion and other exfliating lotions. It is highly embarassing to go to to the pool with glow in the dark feet. The pool is the onlu way I can exercise do to sports injuries.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have tried lactic acid lotion and other exfliating lotions. It is highly embarassing to go to to the pool with glow in the dark feet. The pool is the onlu way I can exercise do to sports injuries. Also I have inserts in my shoes prescibed by a foot doctor for bone spurs and a myriad of other foot problems.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Are you hitting my account for every response?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

sorry for the sp on exfoliating

Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

Again, you do not want too many exfoliating lotions. The urea in the ointment that I recommended above is absorbed and softens the skin. By repeated use over time, the outer layers become less thick and therefore will absorb less water.

I appreciate that you find this cosmetically troubling, however most people who swim regularly have a worry about a part of their body due to the vulnerbility of a swim costume. For some people they worry about their thighs, others their buttocks. If you were to ask people around you, I would guarantee that they do not notice your feet. That is not to say, this is not important to you, but try not to let it worry you while you look after your feet.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

(and only)

I am missing what lotion you recommended. However the one my dr prescibed had urea in it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

(and only)

I am missing what lotion you recommended. However the one my dr prescibed had urea in it. now that I can recall it was ammonium lactate. sorry for all the misspellings is lat

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are u done?
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

Which brand of lotion did you use? How long for?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can't recall the manufacturer, but one was ammoniam lactate, and one had the name of something like kerotin
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

Have a look for a product with a 10% urea content.

Australian Heal Balm and Eucerin Foot Cream are two great products. Ask your local pharmacist if they can order these.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What Urea content does Lamisilk Intensive foot Therapy have? I noticed it is the second ingredient on the list of ingredients. I bought two tubes since they were 75% off. I also bought some CalleX.
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.
The daily hydrating cream does have 10% urea so if you work your way through both tubes then it should show some improvement. Bear in mind that the skin on the sole is much thicker than skin elsewhere so there will always be some thickening present however that very thick hard scale should reduce remarkably.