Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

I have a constant pain that is sensitive to touch in the back

Customer Question

I have a constant pain that is sensitive to touch in the back upper part of my leg (between the knee and the thigh). It is a throbbing yet burning pain. My calf on the same leg occasionally has the same burning sensation. I have been having this pain for the last 3 days.   I do not have any medical insurance so I am not treated as a priority patient at my local emergency department. If I were to go there with this type of pain they would give me pain medication and send me home instead of doing proper testing. Also, I have asked my family doctor to do blood tests (as I am left with the fear that it may be a blood clot) and he doesn't think it's necessary. I am extremely worried about this pain because the point that is hurting the worst seems to be moving up the back of the upper part of my leg. Please tell me what I need to in regards XXXXX XXXXX situation.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

Do you have pain in the lower back?

Pain in the buttock?

Does the pain occasionally go into the bottom of the foot as well?

Do you have any numbness/tingling?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No pain in the lower back or buttock area. I do not have pain in my foot on the affected side nor do I have numbness. Occasionally I have tingling in the foot on the affected side.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

OK.

You have some characteristics (but not all) of nerve irritation in the leg, similar to "sciatica":

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sciatica/DS00516

It would have fit perfectly if you had said you were having buttock pains as well, but pains that travel in the back of the thigh, into the back of the calf are pretty characteristic of pain from the sciatic nerve being irritated.

Most of the time, it does improve on its own, after a few days to a few weeks -- as the nerve irritation improves on its own. Typically, most episodes (over 90%) improve over the first 6 weeks.

Pain which is so specifically located is unlikely to be from a blood clot.

Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience: U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I read the information that you referred me to and it was very helpful. The only thing that I am left questioning is that the pain had started on the inner part of my thigh and I see that it specifies that it can cause pain almost anywhere along the nerve pathway, would that include the inner thigh area? Is this something that you recommend that I see my chiropractor for? Thank you for being so helpful.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

Well, the inner part of the thigh can be a different nerve -- or it can be a pulled muscle in that region as well.

There are probably 6 different nerves that arise in the lower back which innervate different parts of the leg (inner thigh, front of the thigh, outside of the thigh, back of the thigh, down the lower leg, etc) and sciatica is just one of those syndromes - probably the most common one.

This is probably not something that should be seen by a chiropractor until your doctor has decided that 1) it is not going to improve on its own, and 2) you have imaging that proves it is not a herniated disc in the back causing the pain. Chiropractic manipulation has the small, but real risk -- of making a herniated disc worse.