Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

i get rid of the dizziness related to side effects of carbatrol

how do i get rid of the dizziness related to side effects of carbatrol
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

How long have you been taking the tablets?

When does dizziness occur?

Do you know your most recent bloood pressure?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i started taking them thursday night, the dizziness occured on sat but on friday i felt like i was going to get sick all night from about 530 till i went to bed i didnt eat anything from 330 that same day. my blood pressure on thursday they said was normal i dont recall the numbers . srry
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the extra information. The dizziness is a recognized side effect which should settle down over the next week. Your doctor may give you something to help the nausea in the meantime.

What dose of tablet are you taking?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

200 mg My doctor just bumped it up I was taking 100mg twice a day but im so little i dont know if im just too small to be taking so much i only weigh 105 and am 5 feet 2 inches tall im a small girl. Im taking this for my headaches and if i stop i get dizzy spells that only lasts 5 secs.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I didnt have nausea today though
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

This drug can be increased to larger doses so do not worry about the dose being too high, but we usually do the changes slowly due to the side effects. You may find that taking 100mg in the morning and 200mg at night for a week then changing to 200mg twice daily after that should help your body adjust better to the increased dose.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
should i call my doctor on monday? I cant take just 100 mg anyways cuz its in a capsule not a tablet
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

If the dizziness is really affecting your quality of life then I would certainly talk to your doctor about a gradual increase in dose, and he/she can organise half strength capsules for the interim period. So yes, have a chat with your doctor on Monday.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you for helping me