Ask Ronald E. Lemmons, M.D. Your Own Ques...
Ronald E. Lemmons, M.D.
Ronald E. Lemmons, M.D., Medical Doctor
Experience:  General Surgeon - 40 years; currently praciticing Adult Medicine

How long does swelling persist after the diagnosis of a DVT

How long does swelling persist after the diagnosis of a DVT? I took 6 shots of Arixtra and have been following the Dr.'s orders regarding Wafarin doses
Category: Health
Expert:  Ronald E. Lemmons, M.D. replied 7 years ago.

HI Customer Thanks for the question.

Unfortunately the answer is variable depending on the indivdual situation

Where was the clot, at what level? Apparently you are home now, were you in the hospital? Have you had this before? What did the Dr. feel caused the clot? Were you treated with inyermittant compression? Do you wear compression hose? Did the Dr. give you a time table as to of your treatment? Please get back to me with answers to the questions. Some times the swelling stays indefinitely depending on the cause and the individual I will look for your response. Regards, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Clot was in the right leg, initially I believe confined to the lower leg but by the time I went to the hospital the ER Dr. said it was above the knee. I have never had a DVT before. ER and GP Doctors did not have any explanation for the cause. I don't have any family history of DVTs, have not recently had a major surgery and do not think I had injured that leg. I was not treated with intermittant compression and I do not wear compression hose. Both Doctors indicated that I was to do 6 days of the heparin shots, which I did. (Tues-Sunday of last week) and the GP Dr. has been adjusting the wafarin dosage based on my Protyme tests. My test was 2.8 yesterday and I am on 7.5mg of wafarin until next Wednesday when I have another Protyme test.

My right leg has been swollen since this whole thing started 2-3 weeks ago but today my ankle has ballooned a bit and my leg feels tighter.

HiCustomer Thanks for the answers..

Your leg may be swollen for some time, perhaps to some extent indefinitely. The aim of the treatmentis first and foremost. prevent clotfrom extending or breaking off and forming an embolus which could go to the lung causing a pulmonary embolism which can be very serious. Swelling off the leg is a secondary concern. Some things can be done later after the danger of extention and/or embolism is gone or minimal.

At some point diuretics and elevationmay help.

I hope this answers your questions to your satisfaction. If so please click on Accept, other wise get back to me with more questions or information. Regards, XXXXX XXXXX

PS If not too much trouble , let me know how this turns out.