Vivek Pillai
Vivek Pillai, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, M.D.( GENERAL MEDICINE).

i just found out that i have hepatitis c . how serious is it

i just found out that i have hepatitis c . how serious is it ?and is there a cure ? can someone catch it from me ? please help ?? thank you ...
Category: Health
Expert:  Vivek Pillai replied 7 years ago.

hi, sir... well it is serious as around 50-70% of acute hepatitis c progresses to chronicity, but there are cures like interferon alpha and lamivudine, of course the decision to treat you with these agents are based on many factors like preexisting liver damage, cirrhosis, liver function tests, but interferon alpha particulary helps in giving sustained virologic responses which are tantamount to cure, finally ,sir you are contagious and it is best to take precautions like avoiding shared razors, unprotected sex.

if you are satisfied with my reply, kindly press the ACCEPT button so that i may receive credit for my work... feel free to ask any queries.