Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
A new question is answered every 9 seconds came back and i have had it ever since and its bloody

Customer Question

i have always had an irregular period.. but now i got it the begining of january ( it was very heavy, clumps - big) and it went away maybe a week then it came back and i have had it ever since   and its bloody like water   and also chunks... what is this????
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

If you need to change the sanitary pad / tampon in less than every 2 hour, you should go to ER for the investigations and management. Following can be the causes;

1) Fibroid uterus

2) Uterine polyp

3) Endocervical polyp

4) Hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism

5) High prolactin

6) Endometrial hyperplasia

7) Other hormonal aberrations

You need to consult your gynecologist as soon as possible for the evaluation and investigations (blood hormonal work up and an ultrasound). Please read the resource;

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
well i went to the hospital with another thing stimache problem they think its my diet coffee cafine etc.. but i told to doc about this and he said it might be an hormonal imbalance... i called new doc told the secretary about the period but i think she shrugged it off. i never had my period this long ever.. could it be cancer? and the chunks are soooooo big.. i usually get my period every other month an my right ovary hurts at that time... but now... it is never ending it got it a few days again before valentines day frb 14th and now its is still here! watery and also very very clumpy!

Cancer is quite uncommon in your age group and benign causes are far commoner. As I mentioned, there can be hormonal causes and fibroid uterus (benign causes), which are one of the commoner causes in your age group, responsible for this prolonged and clumpy bleeding. So they should be investigated by the blood work and an ultrasound. A prolonged bleeding of this sort need an earlier look by the physician as it predisposes for the anemia, due to the blood loss.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun