DoctorS, Doctor
Experience:  MD, 30 years of medical practice

diarhea, cramping), and I thought that was probably normal

Hi. About6 weeks ago I started a new high fiber, low fat diet. Trying to lose weight and just be healthier. I experienced some digestive problems (gas, diarhea, cramping), and I thought that was probably normal as I adjusted to the new diet. But now 6 weeks later I'm still fighting the same problems. Any suggetions?

There are certainly many possible causes for these feelings and they should be examined by your doctor to get a real idea what is going on. One possible diagnosis

is irritable bowel syndrome or IBS. There are several different types of treatments available for IBS and they are multidisciplinary related to diet, psychosocial therapy, and medications. Dietary changes include avoidance of foods that aggrevate your symptoms, avoidance of foods that cause gas such as legumes like beans and cruciferous veggies like cabbage and broccoli, and increased dietary fiber. Psychosocial therapy related to stress and anxiety management since many people experience this with the severity of IBS symptoms. Finally, there are many different types of medicines that are used for IBS including anticholinergic drugs that decrease gut stimulation, antidepressants and anti-anxiety medication that are thought to reduce symptoms, antidiarrheal drugs like immodium.

I am including a website with patient information that discussed various treatment modalities for IBS and recommended dietary inclusions and things to avoid: Please look at this list of foods that are generally well tolerated in people with IBS:

Please see your doctor to see about what tests are necessary to go about diagnosing your symptoms. I hope this is helpful and hope you feel better.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your answer.

My pleasure - feel better