A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

what is stage 4 cancer

what is stage 4 cancer

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Stage 4/IV is part of the staging system (0-IV) that tells how far the cancer has spread from its origin. Stage 0 has no spread at all, and is known as carcinoma in situ. Stage I has spread locally around the origin only. Stage II are more advanced, but still local. Stage III is still more advanced but usually still in one area of the body. Stage II and III depend a lot on what kind of cancer it is. For instance, if lymph nodes are involved on only one side of the diphragm, it might be Stage II, but if they are on both sides of the diaphragm, it would be Stage III. Stage IV/4 means that it has spread (metastizied) to far areas of the body.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the answer it help me understand what stage 4 meant and is that why they are giving blood transfussions

You're welcome. I'm so sorry to hear that your loved one is so ill. Anemia is one side effect both of cancer and the strong drugs that are used to treat it. Transfusions are often times required. No response is needed to this. You've accepted and given a very generous bonus, for which I thank you. You are in my prayers.