DoctorS
DoctorS, Doctor
Experience:  MD, 30 years of medical practice
8358110

Hello, I have pain in the calf muscle of my left leg which

Customer Question

I have pain in the calf muscle of my left leg which is keeping me awake. It has gradually got worse over the last 24 hrs. I used to get a lot of cramp in that leg years ago and have varicose veins. I am 50 years old and relatively fit (I cycle often, walk and run once a week). There is also a slight pins and needles sensation in the left foot. Thank you in advance for any help
Anthony
Category: Health
Expert:  DoctorS replied 5 years ago.

DearCustomer

Do you smoke? Have any other medical problems? Diabetes? High blood pressure? Taking any meds?

DrS

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No I don't smoke, and neither do I have diabetes or high blood pressue

Thank you
Expert:  DoctorS replied 5 years ago.

DearCustomer

One possible cause is a deep venous thrombosis which is a clot in a leg vein. This is potentially dangerous because the clot can break off and travel to your lungs causing inability to breath. There are many other possibilities, but you should have this evaluated by your doctor to be safe and since I cannot examine you in person I cannot know how likely this is. I would recommend speaking to your doctor asap or getting to the emergency room where an ultrasound can be done on your leg to see if blood is flowing properly through the vein. If so, many other less concerning possible causes can be examined. here is a link with more information: http://www.uptodate.com/patients/content/topic.do?topicKey=~zEdkCtNwwHHJMg

I hope this is helpful and please let me know if you have more questions.

DrS

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dear DrS,

Many thanks - the link was useful as it reminded me that my mother had an issue with thrombosis when I was a child, and I guess it sounds as if it may be inherited (she also had varicose veins, which I guess I have also inherited). I will make an appointment with my GP on Monday unless it gets worse or you strongly feel I should go to the hospital

Many thanks
Antz
Expert:  DoctorS replied 5 years ago.

DearCustomer

I would recommend having this evaluated asap as I cannot know the degree of seriousness without seeing you in person. Therefore erring on the side of caution, I'd recommend having this checked out as soon as possible. But you are welcome to speak with your GP and wait until Monday if you feel comfortable waiting.

Best of luck and hope you feel better.

DrS

DoctorS, Doctor
Experience: MD, 30 years of medical practice
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi DrS,

Just a quick note to say I took your advice and had it checked out on Sunday morning, where I had it examined and had blood test which pointed to DVT. A scan (Doppler) however reveled no evidence of clots. It is still painful particularly when I first move after resting, I will book an appointment with my GP. Once again many thanks - no need to reply

Antz
Expert:  DoctorS replied 5 years ago.
DearCustomer
I'm glad to hear that you checked it out but am sorry to hear that it is still bothering you. I hope your GP will be able to help resolve this and thanks for the followup.
DrS