A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

My son has strep. Started feeling bad thursday night. He has

My son has strep. Started feeling bad thursday night. He has all symptoms, bumps on tongue etc. Do we need to get him to the dr now (emergency room) or can we wait and see his dr monday?

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. It would be a lot faster (and a whole lot cheaper) to take him to an urgent care center or retail clinic for a quick strep test and some antibiotics. It can take the rest of the night to be seen at the ER and given a handful of penicillin.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
None of those are open now it is 8:30 pm. My main concern is how will he be affected if we wait until monday morning?

If he isn't in bad pain, he should be fine if he sees the doctor Monday morning. It is untreated strep that can pose a danger of glomerulonephritis and heart damage in children. If he's terribly uncomfortable, then you'll have to brave Saturday night at the ER.