A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I had my thyroid removed (mostly) many years ago. I have been

Customer Question

I had my thyroid removed (mostly) many years ago. I have been on thyroid meds for years. Lately my dose has been reducedseveral times. My TH4 is now at 6.4. What does that mean. Am I still getting too much thyroid meds? I was at .175 and now after several reductions in meds am at .75. What is going on?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. What is considered normal for thyroid hormones varies from lab to lab. Both TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) and free T4 are looked at together to determine if the thyroid supplement needs to be increased or lowered. Normal TSH is 0.3 to 3.0. Free T4 should be about 0.8 to 2.4 ng/dL.

I'm confused about the dose of hormone you are taking. I think you must mean you went from 175 mcg to 75 mcg. If you will let me know what was 6.4 we can talk some more.