Salar
Salar, Doctor
Experience:  int.medicine board eligible, research fellowship cardiology.. working at UTMCK
11855647

Can a gallbladder be diseased and still contract normally

Can a gallbladder be diseased and still contract normally? Can a CT miss a hernia especially with patient lying down during test?
Category: Health
Expert:  Salar replied 7 years ago.
well if the HIDA scan and CT scan is normal .. the chances of GB disease are less than 10 %. CT scan should not miss a hernia though doctor reading it could. since you are suffering from constipation that is blocking the transit of food from stomach to intestine causing you to have full feel all the time with nausea. your doctor should check THYROID, CALCIUM LEVELS to rule out causes for constipation. CT scan abdomen and or colonoscope will help identify the cause. you can take stool softners like colace and miralax as needed meanwhile . the right sided pain could be from the cysts on liver.. which needs to be identified for treatment if infections
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi, the CT was of my abdomen, and I have not had a colonoscopy as yet. I am hypothyroid and my TSH was checked at the beginning of the month. I do not recall my symptoms being this bad though a few weeks ago though. I do not recall if the calcium was checked when I was in ER for abd pain. I think just a CBC was done, but I do not have that info with me. Later on the US of GB report stated that liver cysts were not appreciated on this study, so what does that mean? They chose not to measure or they didn't see the cysts?

I am seeing a general surgeon on Tuesday and am awaiting referral from prim doc to see gastro asap

Thank you for your assistance.

Oh again, would the CT images show differently had I been standing up or sitting? I tend to lean to left as right side seems so full, stomach full, low backaches at times. Everything seems hard to the touch when I am full and sitting. When I lay down the symptoms seem to lessen. So this has me worried.
Expert:  Salar replied 7 years ago.
CT scans are not done in standing position and it would not matter either. if the ultrasound was done after CT scan .. it means either the cysts have gone or are too small to be picked up on ultrasound. more likely they are gone.