Doctor G.
Doctor G., Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Internal Medicine / Cardiology / Endocrine questions

I am scared I might have narcolepsy. I cannot stay awake when

I am scared I might have narcolepsy. I cannot stay awake when I am not active. In all of my classes I cant keep my eyes open reguardless if I am tired of not, I just nod off for seconds at a time and it goes on throughout the whole class. Then when I leave im fine. This happens at work and everytime I turn on the TV. What do I do? Is this narcolepsy?
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor G. replied 5 years ago.
your age and sex
Do you have any medical conditions (aside from listed)?
Are you on any medication (aside from listed)?
Your weight
Do you snore at night?
Do you wake up in the morning with headaches?
How long has this been going on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am 20 F and I have ulcerative collitis, and I had my gall bladder removed two years ago. When I was younger I had trouble sleeping at night but never this problem. This has been going on for about 2 years now but now I find it worse as I cant even stay awake watching TV. I do not snore, and occastionally I will wake up with a head ache.

I weigh 120

I am taking ascol and prilosec and ortho trisyclin lo for ovarian cysts (sorry if the spelling is wrong)
I might be ototoxic, I went deaf last year temporarily after taking medication but the ear doctors are still not 100% sure that i am.

Expert:  Doctor G. replied 5 years ago.
What you are experiencing is called microsleep. It is indicative of a sleep disorder. Your symptoms may very well indicate narcolepsy or possibly sleep apnea.
You obviously need to be evaluated by a physician.
The treatment is dependent on the cause. You may have to undergo a sleep evaluation.

If you have further questions, please feel free to ask.

You should always consult with your physician for the proper diagnosis and treatment.
The above was for educational purposes only and does not confer a doctor-patient privilege or relationship.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is microsleep a type of narcolepsy? Is it possible to just form this out of no where and will it just keep getting worse where I am going to start falling asleep doing anything? Is there a cure? And can you guide me on what type of doctor to see?
Expert:  Doctor G. replied 5 years ago.
Sure.
Microsleep and excessive daytime sleepiness is a symptom of a problem such as sleep apnea or narcolepsy or possibly even clinical depression. It usually starts in adolescence or young adulthood. There is treatment. Depending on the condition. You need to start by seeing your regular physician. You can also see a sleep specialist.
There is a medical specialty called sleep medicine.
Here's a link to them
Sleep center

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does narcolespy lead to cause worse problems and get worse and worse with time? I dont want to have to drop out of school and quit my job this is horrible. Do you know the cause? No one in my family has this problem
Expert:  Doctor G. replied 5 years ago.
The first thing you have to do is your physician. A proper history and physical exam is a must.
Narcolepsy can lead to problems because it affects your daily life. The cause is linked to genes (not necessarily hereditary).
Once you are properly diagnosed you can be treated. But you must see a doctor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do you mean linked to genes? I will def see my doctor. . . Can it keep getting worse? and lead to other serious conditions?
Expert:  Doctor G. replied 5 years ago.
a gene has been assoicated with narcolepsy, the HLA DQB1 on chromosome 6.
No it wont lead to other medical conditions Narcolepsy is one way. It doesn't get worse. Your episodes may increase or decrease but they won't get worse, per se.
Doctor G., Doctor (MD)
Experience: Internal Medicine / Cardiology / Endocrine questions
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thank you very much, i will go see a doctor and i will def come back here for more advice!!!
Expert:  Doctor G. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you.
You can always request me.