Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

Im on several medicines 1 I started 4 weeks ago (Keppra) problem

I'm on several medicines 1 I started 4 weeks ago (Keppra) problem I have is insomnia, but if I don't take it I'll have seizures. I was given Melatonin to help me sleep, but the melatonin just makes me have more seizures. I've been on Trileptal ,Celexa, And Felbatol almost 8 years can these medicines be too immune with my body that they stopped working. I've had 4 brain surgeries and about 3 times a month have trouble speaking since the surgery was close to my language. I tried speaking to my doctor he raised the Keppra now I can't sleep at all. Am I allowed to decrease my medicine to help me sleep . Or do you know of any over the counter Medicine that helps people sleep.                                 &nb sp;                                               Thanks, Kris
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.

Well, considering you have a frequent amount of seizures -- you should not attempt to adjust your medications without first consulting your doctor, since lowering the medication would put you at very high risk for increasing the frequency of your seizures.

It is a bit unusual that you are having insomnia with Keppra -- as the general adverse affect associated with this medication is somnolence - or sleepiness.

Nevertheless, the over the counter medicine that is generally used is something like "benadryl" (which is the medication found in Tylenol PM and Advil PM).

There are other prescription medications that can also help, including some in the benzodiazepine class which may help you -- however this needs to be discussed with your doctor first.

Please don't drop your medication level without talking with your doctor.