sarahfnp-bc, Family Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  OB, L&D, ER, and family practice, addictions treatment and detox with methadone and suboxone.

hello i had a tooth pulledon thusday and a dentist on here

hello i had a tooth pulledon thusday and a dentist on here thinks that i have dry socket now and i am very very worried that i am gong to get a heart infection now as he said that he thinks i have dry socket and i need to know will i get a heart infection from that now as i had the tooth pulled on thursday.... and i have a mild leaking heart valve....please help asap thanks tesa
Category: Health
Expert:  sarahfnp-bc replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

First of all why do you think you have a dry socket? Have you been sucking through a straw or swishing vigorously?

Even if you do have a dry socket that does not mean you will end up with a heart infection. Heart infections are uncommon after dental work. We give antibiotics for a precautionary. You have been taking your antibiotics regularly and you started them pre-procedure. So there is no reason why I would think that you would get a heart infection.

If your pain is not getting any better or it's worse than you need to be seen.It's way to early to be thinking about a heart infection. If you remember last time you had dental work everything turned out just fine. There is no reason for me to believe this will be any different.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i didnt think i had dry socket a denist on here thought i did as i have pain that goes from my jaw up to my head and give me a head ache where i got the tooth taken out and i cant see the blood clot in the socket where it stays till the socket is healed
Thanks for the follow up information.

So you may or may not have a dry socket. Obviously we can't tell for sure when we can't see you in person. Some of your symptoms suggest that there may be one. So you need to call you dentist Monday morning. It's difficult to see a dry socket though unless you know what your looking for.

The treatment will be the same though dry socket or not. Your doctors have been very, very careful with you. Most studies now say that the risk of developing endocarditis post dental work, that is even extractions do not increase. A lot of dentists are no longer giving antibiotics to patients with mitral valve prolapse or leaking valve.

I'm sincerely XXXXX XXXXX you are having so much anxiety around this but the risk to you is almost zero. I don't think you have anything to worry about. I do think you should see your dentist Monday if the pain does not improve.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the pain is not really bad i feel like i get a ear ache from the side i had the tooth out but i still have pain but it aintr bad at all it would be a 4 out of 10.. why6 dont you think i wouldnt get a heart infection at all...
That's good that the pain isn't bad. Usually with a dry socket the pain is bad and gets worse and worse instead of better. But you should still see you dentist to make sure.

I don't think you'll get a heart infection because of the reasons I noted above. A better question is why do you think you will get a heart infection? My answer is research based. Research that followed tons of people that had Mitral Valve Prolapse and did not get infections. It used to be a thought that is could be a risk. But it was never a certain or absolute thing to happen. Dental work and leaking heart valve never equaled automatic heart infection. Then they discovered the risk was so low that people really didn't need antibiotics anymore. So they stopped giving them and studied what happened. What happened is people didn't get heart infections without taking antibiotics. You took antibiotics.

Infection comes when bacteria is introduced to your blood stream. It's unlikely that this happens as dentists use sterilized instruments. It's also unlikely as you are on antibiotics. Antibiotic means anti- bacterial. The heart is always circulating your blood. It's not standing in stagnant blood. So it's constantly moving through blood which makes it difficult for any bacteria to hang on. That is, if there is bacteria present. But again in your case why would there be bacteria as your dentist used clean supplies and you are on antibiotics. So an infection in your heart just is not a risk for you.

So why don't I think you'll get a heart infection? Because the risk is almost zero percent. You took antibiotics and are healthy. So medically the chances of not getting one are in your favor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so how wouldnt i know if the blood clot was missing as i look in the mirror with a touch but it aint that sore at all and the swelling had gone down and sum of the soreness has gone but it is still alittle sore... and i am still very very scared about getting a heart infection hey...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
please get back to me asap and the pain from my tooth beening pulled out i can feel this pain behind me ear on the side that i got the tooth taken out
Like I said Tracy you may or may not have a dry socket. It's impossible to tell without seeing it. If the pain is getting better and not worse that's a good indication that it is not a dry socket. Pain behind the ear can be from a dry socket or be from the extraction itself. It's impossible to know without seeing you that's why you need to follow up with your dentist.

I know you are still worried about getting a heart infection. Nothing I say will change your fear. You're going to have to go through this until you feel like your out of the woods. You were extremely worried during your last dental procedure that you were going to get a heart infection. But you didn't get one. And you won't this time either. Your fears don't care about education and research. That's why it's fear. You won't get a heart infection.