PatriciaRN, Nurse
Experience:  35 years of nursing experience, 2 in ER, 1 at Planned Parenthood clinic

shoulder strain in his right arm..right handed

Customer Question

My seventeen year old son is experiencing some shoulder strain in his right arm. He just finishing playing basketball and will soon start playing baseball as a catcher. He is right handed. He has been taking advil for relief. The pain is not constant.
Category: Health
Expert:  PatriciaRN replied 7 years ago.

Most shoulder injuries can be healed with conservative treatment, but it's important to treat them early so that chronic problems do not develop.

The treatment should begin with rest, the anti-inflammatory medication (Advil is fine), and ice or heat to the area.

However, it is wise to see a physician to diagnose the type of injury accurately, because the treatment of any shoulder injury does depend on the type of injury.

After a period of rest, some exercise is important in healing the injury and in preventing a further injury or adhesion, which is scarring due to re-injury.

Here is a link to a website where the treatment of shoulder injuries is discussed in more detail:

Chiropractic treatment can also be useful. I believe that the best chiropractic treatment involves applied kinesiology, or muscle testing, which can help the chiropractor to find the injured areas and to make the appropriate adjustments. Chiropractors may also immobilize the area with taping for awhile, which helps give the area some rest.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please feel free to ask a follow up question if you have one.