sarahfnp-bc, Family Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  OB, L&D, ER, and family practice, addictions treatment and detox with methadone and suboxone.

Why do I itch so much I am elderly and take many medicines,

Why do I itch so much? I am elderly and take many medicines, including allopruinol. Does the drug cause itching?
Category: Health
Expert:  sarahfnp-bc replied 7 years ago.

Hi Ctmix1,

Thanks for the question.

Yes, absolutely allopurinol can cause itching. How long have you been on this medicine? My concern is about you having an allergic reaction to this medicine. Allopurinol does have a side effect of itching but we want to make sure that it's a side effect and not an allergy. If you don't have a rash, swelling, difficulty breathing or swallowing you should be o.k. If you develop any of these symptoms you need to discontinue the medication and alert your doctor.

To treat the itching you can take Benadryl if you are able to do so. Make sure you use a good moisturizer and stay hydrated. You can also try oatmeal bath or calamine lotion.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne though to answer your question is yes, one of the most common side effects of Allopurinol is itching.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!