Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

I had a tummy tuck 5 weeks ago and my incision has busted open

I had a tummy tuck 5 weeks ago and my incision has busted open about 2 inches and is oozy and yellow hurting red and hot... the dr said not to worry but it keeps opening more and getting deaper every day... could it be staph?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 5 years ago.
If the wound is bleeding and discharing yellow green, then there is definitely some infection. This may or may not be staph, but there is definitely an infection.

You should conslt your doctor and discuss about doing tests like Culture and Sensitivity test, if it is not done already. You need to take appropriate nd stong antibiotics for this.

You must also discuss with your doctor about consulting an infectious disease specialist. If necessary, i would advise you to go for a second opinion.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What should i do in the mean time since its the weekend? My wounds keeps getting deaper and opening more and more... the wetting and packing of the gauze isn't helping at all.. I started having a bad headache and throwing up today could this be a side effect? My stomach is also extended in size.
You can apply Neosporin ointment on it. This will decrease the secretions. This is available OTC.

Headache and throwing up should not occur with this unless you are having a fever. In case you are having a faver, you should go to the ER for this. Although fevr with headache and vomiting is usually caused by nothing more than a viral infection, in your case since you are already having an infected wound, you would need to get checked up for any fever. Hence, it would be best to go to the doctor for this, if necessary go to the ER.

Also be sure to discuss about doing a culture and sensitivity test from the discharge.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i have tried the neosporin... that only seemed to make it open up more with the extra moisture.. The oozing greenish yellow in color now has an oder to it... My insicion has opened more and has a constant pain from inside out. I have been running fever and now have been passing out. Still have the headaches and nausea feeling.

My question is... the deepest opening has a fatty yellow looking inside to it which comes out... Is that infection or is it normal?

I would suggest taht you get yourself checked up for this.

If you are having a fever and passing out, you definitely need to go to the doctor immediately. you should go to the ER if necessary. You need to be seen to by a doctor urgently.

The fatty yellow look is probably due to fat itself, it shows that the wound must be very deep and you should have this checked up.

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.