Dr Chahal
Dr Chahal, Doctor
Experience:  BMedSci, MBBS, MRCP

My big toe hurts when I put pressure on it. It feels like it

Customer Question

My big toe hurts when I put pressure on it. It feels like it is going to "crack"(like you would a knuckle), but it never does.In addition after running my entire foot screams in pain and throbs for about 10 minutes. I attribute this to weak achilles heal and calf muscle.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Chahal replied 7 years ago.
If the pain is not settling with pain killers you should have an xray of the foot to make sure there is no abnormality such as a fracture
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I already know this. I would like to avoid this if possible. Is it possible that it could be Turf Toe or Metatarsalgia?
Expert:  Dr Chahal replied 7 years ago.
These two could be also be possible diagnoses. However, you would still need to rule out a fracture with an xray to allow a diagnosis of turf toe to be made. The xray is important because if it is a fracture then you would need a longer period of rest. If you do not want an xray then another option would be to try painkillers for a few days with rest. Then see what happens once you stop the tablets. If the pain is still bad then you should have an xray. If not then a fracture is unlikely