Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

I need a list of foods for a bland diet for a person with a

Customer Question

I need a list of foods for a bland diet for a person with a ulcer?
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 5 years ago.

DearCustomer

Thank you for writing to JustAnswer with your health question.

In more recent years, the discovery that the bacteria H. pylori has a major role in causing stomach ulcers has led to health care providers that diet is not as important as it was once thought in the treatment of ulcers. Of course this is more so true if you are taking medications for the condition and healing has begun.

It is recommended that you eat small more frequent meals.

Using other pain relief besides NSAIDs like Ibuprofen is recommended.

Foods that seem to cause people the most problems include foods or foods that contain these ingredients: coffee and tea (whether decaf or not), carbonated drinks (increase acidity), chocolate, meat extracts, alcohol, black pepper, chili powder, mustard seed, and nutmeg.

Other recommendations regarding diet are to eat a diet rich in fiber, especially from fruits and vegetables. This may reduce your risk of developing an ulcer in the first place and may speed your recovery if you already have one.

Foods containing flavonoids, like apples, celery, cranberries (including cranberry juice), onions, garlic, and tea may inhibit the growth of H. pylori.

Other recommendations:

Quit smoking, if you smoke.

Receive treatment for alcohol abuse if this is a problem; your doctor can help you find appropriate care.

Reduce stress with regular use of relaxation techniques, such as yoga, tai chi, qi gong, or meditation. These practices may also help lessen pain and reduce your need for the damaging NSAIDs. It may be easier to incorporate one of these techniques into your life, by first taking a class; studies suggests that, if you have an ulcer, a formal stress reducing program is mroe beneficial than following instructions or tapes alone at your own at home

The article about stomach ulcers will help you to understand how they form and how they heal:

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/common/digestive/disorders/186.html

I hope this helps. If you have questions or comments, please reply.

Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have never heard of diet like this for ulcer. This sound like it would make you feel worst.
He take meds for acid reflux too. I was thinking of someting soft and easy on the stomach.
Like soup or mash potatoes and buttermilk and thing of that nature.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What about foods that increase acid reflux and meds for sleep apnea(sp)/
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 5 years ago.

This is what the more recent studies have found. He can of course eat things like mas potatoes and buttermilk . You did realize the first list were foods for him to avoid, then the second listing is of foods that are recommended. This is medical information - what is now recommended by the medical community.

I can send you information that I have written up before on acid refux. As far as sleep apnea, I'll send you a good resource on this, I don't know if there are meds that help for this. Usually it takes either C Pap breathing machinery, loss of weight, or surgery.

I'll start with information on dealing with gastric reflux.

There are a lot of measures to treat the symptoms of this problem. These includes certain regimens of H2 blocker and other medications such as pantoprazole and rantidine. For permanent resolution of this problem, it may help to understand that weight is a big factor in causing this, so calorie reduction and increasing exercise are overall goals that should be sought.

As you note, there seems to be increased problems when you are laying on your back. Often people begin to notice it after laying down, because lack of gravity will now allow more of the gastric juice to get up into the esophagus and pharynx. To prevent this from occurring as much it is recommended to sleep with the head of your bed up. It is best to do this by placing a wedge between the mattresses or by getting a hospital bed or other type of bed where the head of the bed can be rolled up. Besides sleeping and napping with the head of the bed up, sleeping on your left side will help to keep the gastric acids from getting up into the esophagus. This reflux of the acids into the esophagus is what is causing the excess saliva and mucus - the gastric juices, which normally are retained in the stomach in order to digest the food in your stomach, are basically "digesting" the skin or tissue lining the esophagus. The gastric fluids can get all the way up to the larnx. This of course is damaging and can lead to more problems such as chronic coughing, hoarse voice and even strictures in the esophagus. The body reacts to this by making excess saliva and mucus in an attempt to "wash" away this irritating fluid.

Besides obesity as a factor in keeping the esophageal opening to the stomach from closing properly, other factors are genetic propensity, types of foods you eat (spicey or acidic are more irritating), and eating too much in one sitting contribute to the problem.

Again, you will need to see your doctor for definative diagnosis and mediations. But I do have more information on things that will help you. A lot of people have this problem, so I have put this together in the past. Excuse me if some of it is repetitive.

This is a list of things that will help resolve the problem:

If you smoke, stop.

Avoid foods and beverages that worsen symptoms (acidic foods - tomato, fruits; carbonated drinks; spicey foods; onion)

Lose weight if needed. Exercise and eating the right types of food, in my opinion is the best way to lose weight. Cut your portions a bit at each meal. Try walking 30 minutes per day. Work up to 60 minutes per day if your doctor approves. You may divide it up into smaller amounts - 10 minutes here, 20 minutes there, etc. A pedometer can also help you keep track of the amount you walk during the day and encourage you to take that extra step you need here and there to increase the amount you exercise.

Eat small, frequent meals. It is usually suggested to eat 5 meals a day, but smaller. This increases your metabolism and will help with weight lose. It takes energy (calories) each time you digest food. Speeding up your metabolism causes you to use more calories all day.

Wear loose-fitting clothes.

Avoid lying down for 2 to 3 hours after a meal and don't eat for 2 to 3 hours before lying down at night.

Raise the head of your bed 6 to 8 inches using extra pillows or purchasing a wedge to place between the mattresses. Of course a bed where you could elevate the head of the bed would be ideal. If you are not comfortable laying on your back with the head of your bed up, then try laying on your left side. This keeps the contents of the stomach in your stomach.

More rest and sleep if you are short on these.

This link goes into much more detail about this problem, in case you are interested: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/gerd/

Besides those things, this article also lists interventions as well as some clear advice on food to avoid, and foods that are okay. These things are what most people find very helpful:

http://www.gicare.com/pated/edtgs03.htm

Recipes ideas to prevent acidity, give you an idea of foods that will help you.:

http://heartburn.about.com/od/heartburnfreerecipes/HeartburnFree_Recipes_For_the_Acid_Reflux_Diet.htm

FOR THE SLEEP APNEA - here is a link to articles from the Mayo Clinic. They discuss all the treatments for sleep apnea, depending on whether he as central or obstructive sleep apnea: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/SEARCH/Search

I hope this added information will help. I know it is a lot of info - but I assure you this is some of the best and most up to date information on these disorders.