Brad
Brad, Paramedic (EMT)
Experience:  EMT, IV MAST
669790

I accidentally swallowed some gauze after my tooth was pulled

I accidentally swallowed some gauze after my tooth was pulled and will this cause any problems? Or blockages?
Category: Health
Expert:  Brad replied 7 years ago.
There should be no issues with what has happened. The only concern that I would have would be if the amount was absolutely huge. The thing about the item that you ingested is that it cannot be seen on the xray and that is the most common method for tracking such an event. Just watch your bowel movements in the next couple of days and all should be well. The gauze will probably not digest and will be smooth and pliable so it should not obstruct anything. This happens quite frequently. If you develope a tender stomach, difficulty having a bowel movement, fever then you should seek immediate medical attention.