Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling

I thought I had a pinched nerve in my neck a couple of months

I thought I had a pinched nerve in my neck a couple of months ago. After two weeks, the pain moved into my left arm and shoulder. Now, I have a loss of muscle in my left upper arm and chest. (I look lopsided in a teeshirt, its that apparent) and now, my neck is killing me! I have zero tolerence and I am getting moody. My arm is starting to become usless. It shakes all the time, and I am getting headaches. I have no insurance....What can I do?

Hello Takomo,

I am sorry about your discomfort. It is very concerning to me, because it has gone on for so long and has progressively gotten worse with time. Yes, it sounds like there is nerve involvement, from your description of the symptoms, and you definitely should be seen by the doctor. You need to be examined and have some tests run to determine if there is nerve involvement. Then, proper treatment can begin, once the doctor determines the cause of your pain. When the pain is severe enough, that you don't use your extremity, normally, you will lose muscle mass, which is what you have described, and it can continue to worsen if left untreated. If you served in the war, I want to thank you for your service, and suggest that you go to a Veteran's Administration Hospital near you, where you should be entitled to treatment even if you have no insurance. You can also go to a city or county hospital to receive medical care. Another option for you is to go to a walk in clinic. The neck and arm pain may very well be related to an injury that you sustained during the war, as well. Either way, you need medical care.

Please let me know if you need further clarification.