Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

Can you get Hep C from touching a object that someone with

Can you get Hep C from touching a object that someone with Hep C just touched? Not sure if blood was present or not.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Hepatitis C is transmitted through contact with the blood of an infected person, mainly through sharing intravenous needles to inject drugs. So the answer to your question is no.

********************

If my answer has provided you with some good insight today, please click "Accept" and I will received proper credit for my time and effort, otherwise, JustAnswer.com will hold your deposit. Before leaving feedback, please let me know if you need clarification or more info. Thanks for using JustAnswer.com.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
but lets say that I had a cut on my hand and she had a cut on hers, if she touched a object and then I touched it was are the odds.
Odds are still very low.
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I would like for you to view the following page so that you can educate yourself on Hepatitis C. Sometimes just knowing more about the disease will help your anxiety about transmission.

http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/C/cFAQ.htm#transmission

Hope this helps!

Also, the odds would depend on many, many variables. Hep C is spread by blood but it is way less likely to spread it by touching door handles and such. If you had an open sore that was actively bleeding on your hand and the other person had a the same active bleeding or an open sore on their hand and you held hands with that person that was Hep C positive, it would possible, but again, this is an incident that would rarely happen and I don't think that is what happened here. Your original question was about touching an inanimate object. Now, if you want to discuss how likely the chances are for spreading Hep C by sharing needles, or an accidental needle stick, or otherwise, I would be happy to help. Just wanted to clear this up. I noticed your original question had turned into a totally different scenario and just wanted to know if you were merely speculating or if this actually happened.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
just speculating, the other person answering it stated differently and scared me alittle but your statements have helped greatly.
Ok, good. Just wanted to make sure we were clear. Spread of disease can be quite confusing sometimes, and I just wanted to make sure you had not come in direct contact with someone who had Hep C who was putting your health at risk where two open sores/bleeding were involved.

Thanks again!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no I don't have any obivous cuts but I tend to worry aittle to much, and I don't know if she had a cut on her hand.... Just silly anxiety.
I can understand! Does this person you are speaking of have a confirmed case of Hep C?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes

Ok, this changes the situation then. I would suggest that if you have any cuts on your hands (open or not) and if the person was bleeding when they touched this 'object', I would have blood drawn and be tested for Hepatitis C to make sure there was no transmission as there are many variables here. Honestly, I would want to know for sure to be on the safe side. There is no vaccine for Hep C, so be careful around this person who has a confirmed case and get tested.

Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
but really there was no blood visable on the object or the person it is me probably being paranoid and I have no visable cuts in the on the palm side of my hands were i grabbed the object for...........
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
would you still recommend getting tested even with the CDC stating casual contact and sharing food untensils is not a rish factor

Hi

Yes, I would go ahead and be tested just to be sure. That way you will know for sure and you can be very careful around this person who has a known infection from here on out.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
but I am confused because if that is the case then i kind of feel that I should be tested everytime I touched something that the client touches. Also if I am going to get my liver enzymes tested wouldn't that tell you something. I have had history of high liver enzymes due to fatty liver syndrome and they have tested me in the past for all heps. Are you just advising me to get tested to ease my mind or if you were in my situation would you get tested?
I would advise you to get tested simply to know if any exposure has occured up to this point, not saying any transmission has occured because I don't know your situation, but yes, most times liver function test will be elevated in cases of Hep. So, the screening would be to ease your mind and to know for sure if you are in the clear.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
screening you are talking about my liver enzyme test, that would be good enough

No, you would actually need a Hepatits antibody test done. That would be more definitive.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks for your advice and time I am still not feeling that I need to get tested, cause casual contact is not considered a risk and I see your side of things of saying I need to get tested to ease my mind however I deal with anxiety based on contamination and feel that testing for "thinking" or "believing" that there was a risk when no blood was present would not be benefical for me. People deal with patients that have hep c all the time and I know that they were gloves but they often times shake hands with people with cuts on there hands not thinking twice about it. I will definetly think about it but I know that I will be dealing with this feelings everyday cause that is how often I see the patient and I will be observant. Any final words would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thanks for replying back...sorry for the delay.

You are correct. I deal with patients everyday with Hepatitis. Thing to remember is the basics. If you come in contact with blood at any point, you need to be careful...especially if you have open wounds. The reason I was urging testing is because you mentioned blood to cut contamination. If there was none, and this was only hypothetical, then no problem. Your concerns seem to be more 'paranoid' concerns as you put it. Just be careful and observant as you said. Thanks for the interesting question and great conversation.

Take care!