A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

Why before an outpatient surgery do they say no makeup or hairspray

Why before an outpatient surgery do they say no makeup or hairspray? I am having a simple procedure (essure) and I would at least like to put a little mineral coverage on my face because my skin is bad.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. When someone is having any surgical procedure, the anesthsiologist, nurses, and doctors need to assess the color of the person's skin, not their makeup. The fewer extra chemicals in an OR, the less likely anyone is to have a reaction, and the less likelihood that a chemical will combine with something else in the OR and cause personnel to have a reaction. For the same reason, you should not wear perfume.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks for your quick response, one quick question more though, I understand your answer but do you think a little mineral coverage on just the breakouts would be ok?

No. I think you should go in with a clean face. They won't be looking at your face anyway other than to assess your well-being.