Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

(does) can sauerkraut go bad

(does) can sauerkraut "go bad"?

From a 'health' standpoint, after a period of time, yes, it can 'go bad'. You would be looking at things like mold more than anything else due to the acid nature of the food itself.

********************

If my answer has provided you with some good insight today, please click "Accept" and I will received proper credit for my time and effort. Before leaving feedback, please let me know if you need clarification or more info. I will provide feedback for you as well. Thanks for using JustAnswer.com.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

there is no visual or olifactory abnormality present; can sauerkrout remain "safely edible" for a month if, once opened? (I wanna make a

Reubin on Rye!)

Hi, did it come packaged in a can, sealed plastic bag, or resealable jar?

How has it been stored since it was opened? In the refrigerator? and in a sealed container?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Reubin on Rye!)

I'll wait my turn. No problamo!

Hi, did you get my last response??

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I opened and used about half jar of kraut about 4 weeks ago. I then re-covered the remaining 1/2 jar, and refridgerated. Upon re-opening the jar, today (20 minutes ago) I discerened no unusual odors or visual abnormalities. Can sauerkrout remain safely edible for a month under these conditions. I want to make a Reubun in Rye sandwich!

Hi, I would say that it most likely is safe to eat as long as it has been properly refrigerated and kept sealed up really well. Only you know how cold your refrigerator is and it is keeping your food cold enough. Under the correct temps and conditions, it should be ok to eat. I would not eat it if it taste peculiar or if has changed color, or has a peculiar smell. After today, what is left, I would throw away.

********************