Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

loss of errection after holding back ejackulation

Customer Question

Category: Health
Expert:  RK replied 8 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!

Can you give more details on what happened and what you want to know?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I was having sex with a new partner. I was holding back from ejackulating for about 10-15 minuets. I then lost the ability to ejackualte, and lost my errection. It felt like I had ejected, and wanted to try again without waitng for a few hours.

Regards

Expert:  RK replied 8 years ago.
May I know what you want to know?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Is this normal ? What can I do to prevent this happenng again ?

Expert:  RK replied 8 years ago.

This is not abnormal,

Sexual act involves both body and mind.

So next time you do it , do it involving both your body and mind.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

This is not at all helpful. Why do I loose the errection when I have not egackualted ?

If I try very early on then I can come. but when I wait, so I can please my partner, then I loose the errection, and unable to egackulate? there must be a phyisical explaination .

Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.

Hello, can I ask how old you are?

Is this a new problem for you? How often has it happened?

Do you take any medication or have any medical problems?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I am 65 years old, but it happened to me before with a new partner once when I was 35and once when I was 40.It was the same senario. I wanted to wait until she was ready and then found I could not ejaculate and lost my erection. I can ususally come quite quickly, and so I have to stop myself.

Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for the extra information, there is a school of thought that believes a sudden loss of erection is a psychological problem rather than physical.

The fact that you had to wait for completion of intercourse may affect the problem as the blood vessel dilation and erection physiology was not able to maintain the pressures required. I do not know if I can explain the earlier events, however certainly as you age then cardiovascular problems can contribute to erection problems and you may need help to maintain erection satisfactorily.

However one thing that needs to be ruled out is retrograde ejaculation where the ejaculate is forced into the bladder rather than forward and out.

If this happens again then a urine sample taken just after the loss of erection might show presence of semen.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

With retrograde ejaculation would I not know that I have ejaculated ?

Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.
The act of ejaculation can vary with intensity, some men may ejaculate on occasion without realising and so it is something that we cannot rule out. Especially if you have been using a press and release method of holding back ejaculation.