Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

I found liver flukes in my stool. Ive been having them

I found 'liver flukes' in my stool. I've been having them for a few months but i didnt know what it was until I found a picture online. I have found pretty much one of each of this in my stool. Not sure what symptoms are from them and I also have a UTI.   What is treatment? I've had liver/kidney pain and they did an ultrasound but found nothing. Have abdominal pain and I've had CT scan and xrays, always came back negative. Any symptoms from these things? What should i do?           http://curezone.com/upload/Parasites/Liver_Flukes_an/Liver_flukes_without_cleanse_12_22_07.jpg
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 7 years ago.

Greetings,

The liver fluke can occur but it is not very commonly found in USA. Though CT scan of abdomen did not show any abnormality still you can take the specimen of stool sample in the laboratory for examination. Liver fluke can be asymptomatic too. Abdominal pain can be the symptoms. Sometimes blood test for antibody can be done. You can consult your doctor or preferably internist for investigations. Please read the resource( if you did not go through it earlier ) for details.

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/fluke_infections.jsp

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your healthy life.
Any query, please ask.
Regards.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. But is this serious? Can I wait until march or should I go asap? Can anything really bad come from this? and if so, anything i should watch for?
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 7 years ago.
Though the most of the liver flukes are treatable with medication, but some may give complication like damage to liver or involvement of brain. It will be prudent to consult doctor ASAP to get it diagnosed or excluded. Hope everything will come out normal.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
alright, thank you