Internist
Internist, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialties, VERIFIED,American, trained and located in United States
13024878

what can cause a colon to stop working

Customer Question

what can cause a colon to stop working ?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Saurabh Joshi replied 7 years ago.

Have you had any major surgery in the recent past ?

Since when do you have this symptom ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I started about a month ago. I have not had any surgery. I have tried mirelax, stool softner senacot and a enama. My doctor has put me on lioqed diet.
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.

Try this regimen. Give it time.

You must try to avoid stimulants. Give this regimen a chance. It takes time.

I will recommend a regimen for you to try to get you to have one or two normal bowel movements a day. The first approach is to increase fiber and bulk in your stool. If this fails, then you must go on to stimulant laxatives or other agents.

First, to increase the bulk in the stool, you must take fiber every am. ie. bran, bran cereal, bran muffin. Also 2 salads a day and ample fruits and vegetables. (avoid gas forming vegetables such as beans or broccoli, cabbage) Psyllium agents such as Metamucil, Citrocel, Konsyl, Hydrocil, Perdiem 2-4 heaping tablespoons a day should help increase the bulk in your stool. You may instead want to try Fibercon, 6-8 capsules a day.Also try Colace (stool moisturizer). Start slowly and increase the amount every day to avoid side effects of gas or bloating.

Try to train yourself to have one or two movements a day by sitting on the toilet the same time every day.

Probiotics, like Activia, will help.

I have found this works for most of my patients after minor adjustments you must make yourself. Let me know how you make out after a few weeks. This takes time and does not work overnight.

You can use Miralax on a short term basis or an enema if you are really
uncomfortable.

Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have been eating more fiber in my diet and that has not made any difference . What I'm asking is what can cause a colon to stop working completly?
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.
When you say you're colon has stopped working completely do you mean it is paralyzed, and if so how was that diagnosis made. Do you have any stool coming out or are you passing any gas. How old are you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The two doctors I saw, one my family doctor and the other a GI doctor both said my colon has stoped working. I am going to have a colonoscopy next week. I'm not passing gas or anything at all. The other thing my doctors said is they don't hear anything moving.Oh! I'm 39 years old
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.
If it is truly not functioning and you are not passing stool or gas and you would be vomiting as the material would back up. You may have Ogilvies Syndrome where there is a pseudobstruction.   The this syndrome is usually seen in patients who are very sick and it behaves as an obstruction when there is no mechanical obstruction. On x-ray the bowel is massively dilated. a drug called neo-stigmine has been used but it has significant side effects. This is the only explanation that I can give you. I would appreciate follow-up after you have your tests done and the cause is found.I am not sure how you are going to properly prepare for the colonoscopy if you're colon is not functioning.