Family Medicine
Family Medicine, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board certified Family Medicine

My boyfriends ears smell bad. They have a strong sour wax smell

My boyfriends ears smell bad. They have a strong sour wax smell and his pillows smell. When he cleans his ears with the q-tip the wax is very orange sometimes looks like blood to me. I know he sticks them in too far, he has admitted it. He has not complained of loss of hearing our pain, itching at all. I noticed this about a year ago, so it's been like this for a while. But when he does itch his ear, I can hear wet wax inside. He doesn't like going to doctors, nor admitting he has any problems, so I am forced to figure out this out. the smell is strong, very unpleasant, makes me not want to get close to him. Yes he bathes everyday. Help me help him.
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Medicine replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

If he is using Q tips more frequently, there is a possibility of infection inside specially when it i assoociaed with strong malodorous smell.

He msut be examined by a local physician in order to confirm this and treated for it accordingly.

if it is infection, he will need to be treated with antibiotics like ciprodex or corticosporin drops.. if it is fungal infestation, it needs to be treated with topical antifungals.

He must not use q tips or anything to clean the ear.

Best wishes

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is it possible to actually have an ear infection for almost a year?

Yes. in case of ear, it is possible.But as I said, it can be confirmed only upon clinical evaluation . There might be other causes of bad odour as well which can be figured out by direct examination.