Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

What does a high alkaline phosphatase, like 146. I am female

What does a high alkaline phosphatase, like 146. I am female and 52 yrs. In 05 it was 86, then jumped in 06 to 125 and has risen to 146 in 08 & 09. I have been fighting a mystery weirdness since summer 05. I think it is possibly parasitic or fungal.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

Do you know the rest of your blood tests?

What sort of problems have you been suffering from?

What has your doctor suggested?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The doctors can't figured it out. The rest of my blood work is find. A nutritionist I am working with now seem to feel my liver is not functioning properly. I am 110 pounds and exercise frequently, taking first in the races I do. Because I am so fit, they don't feel anything is wrong. I get weird sores in my ear lobes that have a hole in the middle. Mainly though my question is how to get my liver working in top shape so maybe it can fight my mystery weirdness.

Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

If your liver was not working then we would expect more than just your Alk phos to be high. However we need to know the reference range and units of your lab.

A normal range is 30-150iu/L, so a level of 146 is actually within normal range. Also if you had parasite infection, we would expect to see changes in some of your white cell count too. It may be that this is just an example of 'normal' for you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My lab reference range 30-126 iu/L. My white blood count was as high as 7 in 05 blood work, but has dropped to 4.6 in 09.
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the extra information. As your Alk phos is slightly higher than the lab reference for normal then there are a couple of additional tests that may help determine whether this increase is important.

At a low body weight, then you are at risk of osteoporosis especially if you had an early menopause.

You need a repeat of liver function tests, and especially GGT. I would also suggest a liver ultrasound too. Isoenzyme electrophoresis may help identify whether the alk phos is related to bone or liver. I would also suggest a bone scan too.

Recent use of any medication is also important as some medication will increase alk phos.